The Ethical Society of St. Louis is looking for a friendly, energetic 3rd-5th grade teacher for our Sunday Ethical Education for Kids (SEEK) program this year.
SEEK is a non-theistic, Ethical Humanist version of Sunday School. Lessons are inspired by our SEEK Core Values and focus on the following: character development; social/emotional learning; critical thinking; the natural world; social justice and community action; global cultures and religions.
Hours are Sunday mornings 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sept-May (certain holiday weekends excluded). Pay is $16/hr. Some Sunday hours may be available in summer as well.
- Foster a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for kids and families.
- Help facilitate our Sunday morning Activity Hour for kids prior to classroom lessons.
- Escort class to and from the auditorium for their portion of our 11:00 a.m. Platform service.
- Implement weekly 30-40 minute lesson (planned by Youth Education Director).
- Monitor children on playground, during outdoor activities and open play.
- Maintain an organized classroom space; perform set up and clean up procedures each week.
- Proven work in an educational setting and enthusiasm for working with kids.
- Familiar with principles of child development and learning.
- Willing to develop a working understanding and knowledge base of Humanist culture and the values and mission of the Society.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing needs and adjust program activities accordingly.
- Ability to work alongside fellow staff and volunteers.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Must pass a background check and adhere to the Society’s Child Protection Guidelines and Code of Conduct.
- Must provide references that speak to experience working with children.
- BA in Education or related field; may be supplemented with relevant experience.
The Ethical Society of St. Louis is an ethics-centered community dedicated to deed before creed. We believe every person is unique, worthy of dignity and respect, and we strive to create a more just, loving and sustainable world for all. We are committed to celebrating diversity and encourage applicants from minority and marginalized communities to apply. Individuals from all backgrounds and belief-systems are welcome.
Interested and qualified applicants, please email Megan McCarthy, Youth Education Director, at email@example.com.