The Ethical Society of Saint Louis is seeking an Interim Leader, equivalent to an Interim Minister, Pastor, or Rabbi.
Who We Are:
The Ethical Society of Saint Louis is a humanist congregation, founded in 1886 and affiliated with the American Ethical Union. Our mission is to inspire ethical living by affirming the worth and dignity of every person and advocating the primacy of ethical behavior above any creed. The Ethical Society functions like a traditional religion, building community through a focus on a shared set of values and encouraging members to support each other through the stages of life. We hold weekly services on Sundays for adults and ethical education for children from preschool through high school. Our programs are non-theistic and involve no prayer or traditional religious rituals. Our membership of approximately 330 adults includes people of varied backgrounds, faiths and beliefs, many of whom self-identify as agnostic and/or atheist.
We are united in our belief in the capacity of human beings to work together to create a better world, committed to social justice, environmental stewardship, and democratic ideals. We are an intergenerational community, providing education, inspiration, social and social action opportunities, support and friendship for people of all ages.
- Full-time, temporary position, 12 to 24 months duration, start date negotiable between January and June 2023
- Salary range, including housing allowance, between $85,000 and $105,00, based on level of education and relevant experience
- Generous benefits, including medical insurance, self-employment offset tax, retirement contribution and relocation allowance to St. Louis (if appropriate)
Principal Responsibilities Include:
Duties of the interim Leader:
- Provide leadership and assistance to the congregation with the ultimate goal of hiring a permanent leader.
- Facilitate conversations with and between members regarding the future direction of the Ethical Society. Activities might include guiding evaluation of past programs, traditions and rituals; experimenting with new ones; discussing what kind of permanent leader members would like to have; analyzing and evaluating current and potential associations and alliances; and articulating a vision and goals for the future of the Society.
- Prioritize and ensure fulfillment of the duties of a permanent Leader.
Duties of a permanent Leader:
- Provide inspiration for the well-being of the membership and promote community involvement and organizational growth
- Prepare and present an original 30-minute address to the congregation, approximately two Sundays per month, on topics related to ethics or philosophy (See the Ethical Society’s podcasts for examples of these presentations, which we call Platform addresses.)
- Organize other Sunday morning programming, with help of paid and volunteer staff
- Provide pastoral care and counseling to members
- Oversee daily operations, manage staff (currently one full time and 6 part-time employees)
- Provide support to volunteer teams, working to meet the needs and interests of the Society and its members
- Oversee the work of the children’s Education Director and maintain involvement in its programming
- Foster a good working relationship with the Ethical Society Nursery School, a wholly owned subsidiary
- Preside at weddings, memorials, and other rites of passage
- Be sincerely and energetically involved in the life of the Society
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Advanced degree and/or record of achievement in congregational growth or community organizing preferred
- Interim ministry training or experience strongly preferred
- Empathetic, approachable, friendly, and flexible disposition
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should provide a letter of interest, a resume, an essay that could be developed into a public address from our Platform, and contact information for three to five references. Must agree to a background check. Please send all requested material to EthicalSTLeaderSearch@gmail.com. Applications will be evaluated as they are received. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.