Ethical Navigators Weekly Update – February 7, 2016
- Updated: Details set for our February Cabin Camping: the weekend of Feb 19-21. Please RSVP.
- New: Our March Outing will be a visit to a local religious community.
- Updated: We will learn about weather and kites at our next General Meeting will be February 14 at 9:45.
- New: We will host the Ethical Society’s First Sunday Lunch on March 6. Please let us know if you will help.
- We had a productive Council Meeting this morning.
February 19-21: Cabin Camping
We will be winter cabin camping at Babler State Park. Bob Heck and the rest of the Council have been making plans for the weekend, and we have lots of ideas and activities:
- Star gazing
- Science Project
- Missouri State Park Explorers
The exact combination of activities will depend on actual weather conditions and the group’s interest.
Babler has heated cabins with attached bathrooms. We plan to sleep up to 16 people per cabin (bring your sleeping bags or other linen), and we will cook our own food. We will be sharing some facilities with a teen group.
The cost will be $12/person/night, plus cost for meals. Our Treasurer, Bob Heck, will calculate the final amount for each family at the event.
Note: If you want to join us and have difficulty with the financial contribution, please let us know so that we can try to help.
Please let us know if you are planning to join us.
Please see the flyer for more details.
March 19: Religious Community
We have early plans to visit a local religious community for the Community badge. In case our lead falls through, please let us know if you have a connection with an interesting local religious community that would welcome us to learn about them.
Our October General Meeting will be at 9:45 am on February 14 at the Ethical Society. We will learn about the science of weather and put it into practice by building kites. We will also take time to discuss the badge system and the upcoming First Sunday Lunch.
First Sunday Lunch – March 6
The Navigators are hosting the First Sunday Lunch for the Ethical Society on March 6. The food will be served after the Platform, around noon, but we will need to be ready for the onslaught.
We will need families to cook in the Ethical Society kitchen that morning, but we will need others to purchase supplies in advance and do any necessary early food prep.
We have discussed several ideas about what we could serve (pancakes, scrambled eggs, lunch casserole, etc.), but the decision isn’t final yet. The menu and other planning will be an important topic of conversation at the February General Meeting and Outing.
Ellen Wilson will be leading this effort for us. Please let us and Ellen know when and if you are able to help with cooking, purchasing, cleaning, etc.
February Council Meeting
This morning, five members of the Council met in the Ethical Society:
Kyle Crawford (Co-Leader), Lance Finney (Communications), Andy Ford (Co-Leader), Bob Heck (Treasurer), and Ellen Wilson (Quartermaster).
The meeting was mostly focused on the details of upcoming meetings and outings as described above. In addition, we discussed the following topics:
- Treasurer – Our new Treasurer, Bob Heck, gave an overview of our finances. We are in good shape. Additionally, we learned that the Ethical Society office has requested that we fill out checks to the “Ethical Society”, not including “Navigators” on the To line.
- Roster – Pepper noted that our registration materials do not include birthdays, but knowing the exact age of our scouts is useful for planning. We may be asking you the birth dates of your children soon.
March Council Meeting
Our next Council meeting is scheduled for 9:30 am on March 13 in the Nursery School Green Room. All are welcome to observe and comment.