- A date and location has been set for camping in April: the weekend of the 30th at Pere Marquette SP.
- New: Added new add-ons for a Native pow-wow, free summer camps, and additional skills lessons.
- Our next General Meeting will be April 17 at 9:45.
- Our next Council Meeting will be April 10 at 9:30.
April 9: Pow Wow Add-on
Several Native American tribes will gather at the Washington University Field how on Saturday, April 9 to celebrate their culture. The theme this year is “Honoring Our Language to Strengthen Our Future.” We attended the pow wow in 2013 as an Outing, and we had a lot of fun dancing, learning, and eating in the native cultures.
The event is free, though food and gifts will be available for purchase. More information here.
April 29-May 1: Camping with Caves
We have early plans to go camping the final weekend of April at Pere Marquette SP. Our criteria in selecting this location were a nearby camping site and caving opportunities.
Free Recreation Camps: All Summer Add-on
The City of St. Louis offers free Playtime Recreation summer camps for children ages 5-18. The earlier camps start on June 6, and the latest ends on August 11. Some of the camps are age-restricted, and they vary in length and time of day.
Topics include Geocaching, Art, Sports, Music, Engineering, Cooking, Cheerleading, Fishing, etc.
More information and registration is available on the city’s website.
Reminder: An add-on is an event that some families in Navigators might attend, but not an event for which we are having a formal presence. If you know of other events that might be fun for Navigators, please let us know, and we will advertise them and add them to our calendar.
April 3 and 10: Add-on
The Ethical Navigators leaders will be running extra SEEK Workshops the next few weeks.
The goal in these classes is to interest new families in Navigators, teach concepts already covered to new Navigator Families and follow badge lesson plans for Navigators to do badge work.
- Learn 1 knot
- Learn how to build fires
- Build a Fire
- Rig a contraption to hang a pot
- Make hot chocolate
- Learn a knot
- Teambuilding activity of setting up a tent
- Build a shelter from a tarp
- Go on a shelter tour of what others have built
- Brief demonstration of how to purify water in the woods
Our April General Meeting will be at 9:45 am on April 17 at the Ethical Society. We will be finishing the series of Workshops with the following topics:
- Talk about leave no trace
- Talk about safety in the backcountry
- Play and make some Native American games
April Council Meeting
Our next Council meeting is scheduled for 9:30 am on April 10 in the Nursery School Green Room. All are welcome to observe and comment.