This presentation explores the connections between population dynamics, access to comprehensive health care, and climate change. Through an historical examination of global population dynamics, the talk will clarify the links between poverty, marginalization, women’s rights, and environmental pressures made worse by climate change. It will conclude with a detailed argument explaining why expanding access to family planning and reproductive health care services is critical to women’s empowerment and can play an impactful role in climate adaptation and mitigation efforts.
Presentation slides (pdf, 308 MB)
ACTIONS – Curbing population growth
- Watch and share this 6 minute video “World Population” growth
- Support local women’s health organizations, such as: Missouri Abortion Fund or Teen Pregnancy and Prevention Partnership
- Read about the St. Louis based Contraceptive Choice Project
- Discuss with family and friends your positions regarding family size and birth control and the considerations upon which you base your decisions
- Donate to or get updates from the advocacy wing of Population Connection
- Does religion play a role in family size? Hans Rosling’s TEDx talk has some answers.
These materials have been prepared by the Society’s CAN! (Climate Action Now!) team. This post and its links do not express or imply an endorsement by the Ethical Society of St. Louis or its leadership.